Posted Friday, February 28th 2014 @ 11am
As we all know, twerking is the new thing, especially after Miley's performance with Robin Thicke last year. Now that white folks have grabbed a hold of twerking, we think there are a few things they need to know:
- Its not a new dance craze! Just because Miley let white folks know what we have been doing for years, does not mean it's a new dance craze.
- It didn't originate in New Orleans. New Orleans bounce music probably caused us to toot our booties, but its not something that the city created. It actually comes from African decent.
- Miley did NOT introduce twerking into pop culture. Although Miley's video sparked the most recent twerking fascination, the Ying Yang Twins' songs like "Say I Yi Yi" and others actually influence twerking.
- Miley Cyrus is trying but she's not an expert. Miley Cyrus is the new poster child for twerking but when it comes to skill, she is far from the best. If you want to see how its done, check out the pros, like the Official Twerk Team.
- You cannot learn how to twerk from an illustration or GIF. Just no.
- Demi Moore probably never twerked. True there were a few photos going around that would lead you to believe that she was getting down, but wearing a short dress, sitting with your legs open and wiggling in your seat does not equal twerking.
- Twerking doesn't warrant suspension. High school girls shouldn't be twerking on school grounds, its a matter of inappropriateness more than it is an action worthy of severe disciplinary action like suspension.
- It didn't originate from the Caribbean. They say that the word originated from mashing the word "twist" and the Jamaican seasoning "jerk"..Twerk. But actually Jamaicans call this type of dancing "whining".
- When the mainstream is done with it, we'll still be twerking. When Miley starts standing upright again and renounces it just like she's done her Disney upbringing, we'll reclaim it and return to the twerking throne.